Douglas DC-6

The Douglas DC-6 is a piston-powered airliner and transport aircraft built by the Douglas Aircraft Company from 1946 to 1958. Originally intended as a military transport near the end of World War II, it was reworked after the war to compete with the Lockheed Constellation in the long-range commercial transport market. More than 700 were built and many still fly today in cargo, military and wildfire control roles.

 

Specifications

 

Crew: 3: captain, copilot, flight engineer, plus attendants appropriate to number of passengers

Capacity: 54-102 passengers

Length: 105 ft 7 in (32.18 m)

Wingspan: 117 ft 6 in (35.81 m)

Height: 28 ft 5 in (8.66 m)

Wing area: 1,463 ft2 (135.9 m2)

Empty Weight: 55,357 lb (25,110 kg)

Max Takeoff Weight: 107,000 lb (48,500 kg)

Powerplant: 4× Pratt & Whitney R-2800-CB-17 "Double Wasp" radial engine, 2,500 hp (1,700 kW) with water injection each

Propellers: Hamilton Standard 43E60 "Hydromatic" constant speed props with autofeather and reverse thrust